|The perfect Cheese Dip!|
In the hope of finding the perfect replacement, I began experimenting. I think I found one! My daughter asked skeptically, "Is this any good?" We chorally answered, "NO!" She took one look at us and dove right in. She announced it's good but needs more cheddar. Well, Dear Daughter, there's no cheddar in this here dip! I suppose it could be added, but the rest of the family decided it was near perfect!
You will find in the recipe that I have relied on a couple of canned ingredients (gasp!) I do have to pick my battles! One step at a time to getting to totally unprocessed foods....
Spicy Cheese Dip
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Onion Chopped
1 Can (7 oz) chopped Green Chilis
1/2 Can (7 oz) Chipotle Peppers, finely chopped.
1/3 Cup Flour
3 Cups Milk
8 oz Cream Cheese, cut into one inch cubes
1 Cup Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- In a heavy sauce pan over medium heat saute onions in olive oil for 3-5 minutes until softened.
- Add green chilis and chipotle peppers(you can add as many chipotle pepper as you desire). Stir and saute for 3 min.
- Sprinkle flour over mixture. Continue Stirring for 2 min.
- Slowly add milk while whisking mixture.
- Cook over low heat until comes to a near boil. Make certain you keep stirring to avoid scorching.
- The mixture should begin to thicken. Slowly add cream cheese, stirring to incorporate.
- Add Monterey Jack.
- Stir until all cheese is melted and smooth.
- If sauce is too thick, stir in more milk one Tablespoon at a time.
NOTE: Chipotle peppers do have a bit of kick to them. You might consider starting with a 1/4 of the can to begin with. When you reach the final step, taste sauce. If you need a bit more spice add more gradually.