Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Chicken Broth

Homemade chicken broth is easy, delicious, and so much cheaper than buying broth at the store.  I make a big batch and freeze to use later.  I freeze in quart jars for soups, and smaller containers for when I just need a small amount.  I don't add salt to my broth.  Instead I wait until I add the broth to a dish and then salt to taste.  
Chicken Broth
Chicken Broth


There's something so comforting about broth simmering on the stove.  The smell is delicious and I keep thinking about all the hearty ingredients that my family will be consuming later.  

I use a whole chicken here, but you can also use chicken parts (wings, thighs, backs.)  We raise our own meat chickens so the size of the chicken is never the same.  The chicken in the picture is actually from when we butchered last summer.  We had purchased a batch of laying hens, but as they grew up, several of them were roosters!  Too many roosters is not beneficial.  When we butchered our meat hens, Rod also culled our extra roosters.  This chicken is only about 3 1/2 pounds.  Perfect for making broth!


Not only do I use the broth, but I also use the meat from the chicken.  After the broth has simmered for about three hours, I pull out the whole chicken and let it cool.  When it's cool enough to touch, I pull all the meat off and discard the bones, skin and fat.  I use the meat for soups or other meals that use shredded chicken (enchiladas, chicken and dumplings...)



Chicken Broth
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1 Whole Chicken 3-4 pounds, or cut up chicken.
  • 1 Onion.  Can use yellow or white.  Sweet onions do not do well here.  Remove onion skin and quarter onion.
  • 3 Celery Stalks - Leaves on stalks are okay.  Cut into 4 inch pieces
  • 2 Unpeeled Carrots - Cut into 4 inch pieces
  • 8-10 Sprigs of Parsley
  • 12 Peppercorns
  • 2 Bay Leaves

  • In a large Stock Pot  (   10-12 Qts.)   on a hot stove, lightly brown whole chicken in olive oil.  This step is optional, but it does give just a touch of extra flavor.  Lightly brown on all sides.  Turn off burner and let cool for a few minutes.  Fill pot with water.  Add remaining ingredients.  Bring to a light boil and then turn to low. 
  • Simmer for 3-4 hours.  
  • Remove chicken, let cool and save chicken meat for another use. 
  •  Let pot of broth cool in refrigerator.   You want broth cool enough to handle. After about 1 hour, remove from fridge, and strain all items through a sieve.  
  • Pour into freezer safe containers.  
I keep broth in the freezer for 3 months.  



Note:  When freezing make certain you leave enough head space in the jar for expansion. 


Homemade Chicken Broth
Ready for the stock pot. 



4 comments:

  1. I had to come over and check out your blog because the name is awesome! Thanks for commenting on my chocolate soufflé!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carolyn! I'm just getting started and have lots of ideas and am having fun. Still need to get my chickens on here! Thanks for checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! I need to do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It really is easy and doesn't require much, just time to simmer.

      Delete