Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake

My Grandma Grace was always well known for her Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake.  The funny thing is, I don't remember my grandma ever making it.  She really wasn't much of a cook at all.  I don't think she even liked to cook.  My dad always said it was because when they lived in Wyoming she couldn't figure out how to cook at high altitudes.  For someone who didn't like to cook, she seemed to have some great recipes she passed on to my mom.

The most famous is her Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake.  It sounds gross!  I mean, who puts 

Chocolate mayonnaise cake
mayonnaise in a cake???  That's just crazy.  We never used to tell people the name until AFTER they had eaten our famous dessert.  Then they couldn't say, ewwww.....I'm not trying that.  Although, now that I think about it, maybe we should have told them because that would have meant more for us!  

My mom always makes this using Miracle Whip Dressing instead of mayo.  Either works fine. It really comes down to what's in the fridge and what's your personal preference.  I now use a homemade Miracle Whip which doesn't contain any extra added preservatives.


This is probably the easiest homemade cake recipe you will ever make!  It takes just one bowl and a handful of ingredients.  We make it into cupcakes most often.  If you make it into a cake, a 9X13 cake pan works best.  ENJOY!!!

Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake/Cupcakes

1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 Tablespoons unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix dry ingredients together.  Add water, mayo and vanilla.  Stir until well incorporated. 

Fill lined cupcake tins. Bake at 350 for 20-22 min.  Cool completely on a wire rack and then frost with chocolate frosting.


Chocolate mayonnaise cake dry ingredients
Dry ingredients

Chocolate mayonnaise cake batter
Batter ready for the oven


Chocolate mayonnaise cake

Chocolate mayonnaise cake
Pretty as a picture. 





No comments:

Post a Comment