Pages

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Hard Boiled Eggs

Really???  Hard Boiled Eggs???  I mean, do I really need to make a whole post on hard boiled eggs?  Why yes, yes I do!  If you've ever had a fresh egg, and I mean a really fresh egg.  Like straight from the chicken fresh.  Then you will know why I need a post on how to make hard boiled eggs.  
Hard boiled eggs





Fresh eggs are wonderful for so many reasons, but when it comes to boiling them, I could be tempted to buying (gasp) them from the store!  The problem is, they don't peel easily.  In fact, they hardly peel at all unless you want just a wee bit of white and all the yolk for your hard boiled eggs.  

The shells of fresh hard boiled eggs tend to stick to the white of the egg.  The shell come off in only teeny tiny little minuscule bits.  And I do mean minuscule!  You pick and you pick and you pick and still bits seem to be stuck to the egg.  When or if you finally get the shell off, the poor egg is so pitted that even the thought of Deviled Eggs is out of the question!

Alas, I have found a solution!  First, do not take the eggs straight from the hen.  Let the eggs sit in your fridge for at least 10 days (if possible.)  This allows the egg to start to absorb air and the white doesn't stick to the shell quite as easily.   I also try to select eggs of a similar size.  My chickens lay everything from a super jumbo to a rather petit sized egg.  These directions are for eggs of the smaller size.  You can increase the boiling time by a minute or two for a larger egg. 

Next, fill your pot with cold water and add cold eggs to the pot.  Turn the heat on high and bring to a boil.  As soon as a boil is obtained, set the timer for 5 minutes.  When 5 minutes are up, carefully poor hot water out and flush pot with cold water.  I let the water run for a few minutes to quickly lower the temperature of the eggs and pot.  I finally fill the pot again with cold water and ice cubes.  The eggs need to rest in this ice bath for at least 10 minutes so they are completely cooled.  

Hopefully, the eggs will peel easily!  
Hard boiled eggs
Start with cold water and cold eggs.

Hard boiled eggs
Bring to a boil.

Hard boiled eggs
Ice water bath.

Hard boiled eggs
Just a few small pieces.  


2 comments:

  1. I love this post -- it's always the seemingly simple things that trip us up and this whole egg peeling thing is one of them. I don't have access to as fresh of eggs that you do, but I have this challenge sometimes. I follow the same technique as you and I've also found that gently cracking the shell in a few places and then carefully rolling the egg between my hands helps remove the shell in a big piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Rolling it gently is a great idea! I'll give that a try.

      Delete