Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Homemade "Miracle Whip Dressing"

Growing up, we always used Miracle Whip instead of mayonnaise.  When I met my husband, he was a REAL mayonnaise eater.  Miracle Whip was considered an inferior product.  Having two mayo products in our fridge seemed excessive so the real mayo won.  There are times (I must admit) that I miss the tang of Miracle Whip.  It adds a perfect something to potato salad, deviled eggs, and my Grandma Grace's special Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake!  It was my Grandma Grace's recipe, but I don't actually remember her ever making it....my mom is the true Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake (or Cup Cake) maker in our family.  Mom always makes her cupcakes with Miracle Whip, not "real" mayonnaise.  I've tried to make it with "real" mayonnaise, but it's just not the same. 

In my quest to reduce our intake of processed foods, and my desire to make Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake like my mom's, I have found a recipe for homemade Miracle Whip!  


Homemade Miracle Whip Dressing


Homemade "Miracle Whip" Dressing

1 egg
5 teaspoons white vinegar
3 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 cup canola oil

In a blender, put all ingredients except oil.  Pulse lightly until mixed and just slightly foamy.  Put lid on blender with middle part removed from lid.  With blender on, slowly pour oil through hole in lid.  A slow steady stream of oil with the blender running will allow the ingredients to emulsify. Once all oil has been added, taste dressing.  Add additional salt if desired (1/4 teaspoon more.)  

Store in a glass jar with a lid in the refrigerator.  

Note:  Many recipes call for just the egg yolk.  Because I don't like to be wasteful, I used the whole egg.  I use farm fresh eggs from my own chickens.  If you are worried about using a raw egg, you can purchase pasteurized eggs from the store. 



Homemade Miracle Whip Dressing


Source:  Adpated from Top Secret Recipes



No comments:

Post a Comment