Pages

Monday, February 2, 2015

Overnight Steel Cut Oats

I am a breakfast eater.  Everyday of the week.  We make time to savor breakfast on the weekends. On those days we usually make homemade pancakes or waffles.  Sometimes we will bake muffins, scones or biscuits.  Weekdays...well that's a whole other story.  It's grab what you can and eat it quick.  Overnight Steel Cut Oats are perfect for weekdays.  It just requires a small amount of planning the night before.  In the morning, it's ready!  
Overnight Steel Cut Oats

Steel Cut Oats are hearty, delicious and good for you.  In my book, it doesn't get better than that!

My favorite toppings are blueberries, raspberries, pecans, and a touch of brown sugar.  Then I drizzle just a bit of milk (or cream if I'm feeling really decadent!) over the top.  Mmmmm-mmmmm-mmmmm!  







Overnight Steel Cut Oats

Overnight Steel Cut Oats


Overnight Steel Cut Oats
1 Cup Steel Cut Oats
3 Cups Water


  • In a sauce pan add all ingredients.  
  • Bring to a boil
  • Turn off heat
  • Put lid on top
  • Let sit overnight
  • In the morning, remove lid.  Stir
  • Turn heat on low and just warm oats.  (individual servings can be warmed in a microwave too)
  • Enjoy!
Topping Suggestions:
Blueberries
Raspberries
Nuts
Maple Syrup
Brown Sugar
Milk, Cream

Left overs can be stored in the fridge and reheated.  



9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Suzi! I learned this from you when I was out visiting for the marathon....perfect fuel for the run!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love overnight oats! I've never tried the steel cut. I'll have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are truly delicious! Hope you give them a try!

      Delete
  4. Breakfast foods are great...we love to eat breakfast for supper sometimes! I eat a lot of oats for breakfast (out of the box), I have never had overnight oats. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The only difficulty with this is remembering to start it the night before!

      Delete
  5. I love oatmeal and eat a lot of it. There is no excuse to not have breakfast with overnight oats :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. If you make extras they make great left overs for a couple of days too!

      Delete